Sunday, April 8, 2012

Crazy Spring!

It's spring...  in Texas.  If you're from Texas, I needn't say more I'm sure.  It's already a crazy spring, and Kasen is crazy to go along with it!
One night I was brave enough to take him out to dinner alone.  Actually, he did pretty well, so it was a nice evening for just the 2 of us.
 He has, however, had a serious attitude problem lately.  It lands him in time out almost every day.  Obviously, time out isn't working...  but I haven't come up with another tactic yet.
 This past Tuesday was a crazy one for North Texas.  I think the final count was 15 tornadoes that hit DFW in just a few hours.  *15!*  The strongest one was an F3, and it hit the town we live in.  Luckily, it didn't do as much damage as it would have in another, more heavily populated town, but it still did too much, too close to home!  It hit about 3 miles from where we live, and Kasen & I had just gotten home.  Somehow I just knew that something more than the usual take cover warning was going on.  I got Kasen, the dogs, & myself in the half bath as quickly as I could.  Kasen sat down on the step stool & I sat down on the toilet, then all of a sudden it sounded like the side of our house was being ripped off.  I grabbed Kasen & got him under me (as much as possible), as it contined to sound like half our house was being ripped apart.  It wasn't the usual train sound, but it was SCARY.  I even texted Luke that I was scared, and these storms don't usually scare me THAT much.  Kasen must've been scared by the sounds too (or feeding off my nervousness?), 'cause he asked me if he was gonna die.  I couldn't lie to him, so I explained that sometimes bad things happen, and I had no way of knowing...  BUT, he would be under me, so I would be hurt first.  Then, I showed him how to use my phone to call 911 if he needed to.  (Thank goodness he didn't!)  Since our tv had already gone out, I relied on texts & Facebook to find out when it was safe for us to come out.  I fully expected to see serious damage to our house.  Luckily, it was still standing.
Here we are, all hunkered down, waiting for the all-clear.  
 Seeing the house was standing was great...  then I looked in the backyard.  It was covered in baseball to softball sized hail!  I have NEVER seen hail so big!  -and ALL of it was big.  There was no "normal" sized hail at all!  We will need a new roof, but considering what happened a few miles away, that's really nothing.
 Before the crazy storm, Kasen & I had been at my midwife's office for my check up.  I am measuring right on track, I have my gestational diabetes completely under control, my blood pressure is still great (yay!!!) and Sweetie Pie Sparkles is totally healthy.  So far I am still on track to have a completely normal final trimester, and a perfectly healthy labor & delivery.
Here I am last week, at 30 weeks (I'm 31 weeks now).

In other news, Luke has signed his paperwork & officially the district sales manager for Houston!  He's sticking around town this week so I won't have to run myself crazy while working & hauling Kasen around, but he'll start splitting his time between there & home next week...  which will also be my first week as a stay at home mom!  We've both waited so long for this, it's a wonderful time for our little family!

1 comment:

Marci said...

Gosh, that hail is crazy!! Sorry about your roof. :( But I'm so happy everything is going well with the little one...so exciting you can finally quit work! Happy for you!