Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Saying Goodbye & Celebrating Easter

On April 1 we buried my Uncle George. His passing was far from expected & it's been hard on everyone who knew & loved him. There truly is a void in the world now, a void no-one will ever be able to fill. He was a hard working [total understatement], coffee drinking, cigarette smoking, rugged man... with a heart of gold . Always there - ALWAYS - when you needed him & always willing to give 110% of himself to ease the burden of anyone else. He will never be forgotten, but will surely be missed forever.

This has always been one of my favorite pictures of him (from 1999). Something about a grandchild can make a man as tough as him turn into a big 'ol teddy bear. Here he is at our wedding (2002), with more of his grandbabies.

We went from that difficult moment to the celebration of Jesus' resurrection. This Easter was a pretty low-key one, which was just perfect in my opinion. Kasen had an Easter Egg Hunt (and a visit from the Easter Bunny!) at school on Wednesday, so he was quite prepared for the hunt he had Sunday.
We started the festivities with food. Of course. What's a gathering without food, right? First, everyone chatted while I finished the last little details. Here's Auntie, Papa Vergil, & Ma chatting:
The food (and Kasen's Easter Bunny hat) - brisket, salad, deviled eggs, potato salad, green bean casserole, rolls, sugar-free cake & sugar-filled (hehe) chocolate cake:
Kasen hunting eggs!
He's on a mission.
...and having fun!
Look! An egg!
I asked Kasen to stand by the house & let me take a picture of him with his Easter basket. This is what I got:
So I tried again, then gave up. He just wanted to make silly faces.
Checking out his loot:
Looks real excited about that one, huh? ;)
Opening his presents from Mimi & Papa Wayne:
A new Transformer! (and a chocolate bunny!!)
Mimi & Papa Wayne watching Kasen:
Papa Vergil watching Kasen:
Eating a chocolate egg!
Auntie trying to keep him from doing something or other while daddy opened the Transformer:
Family shot:
Daddy playing with the new Transformer & Kasen playing with daddy's old Transformer: Ma & Mimi chatting:
It was a long, rough week full of ups & downs, but it ended Sunday with the perfect afternoon of family, food, and even a good nap. The weather is now perfect & we're happy to welcome the spring & soon the summer!

2 comments:

Crystal said...

Wow - a girl after my own heart - you shared pictures of food. I always love that! I'm sorry about your uncle. It looks like it was a fun Easter. Kasen is so adorable!

Marci said...

Aww, I love the pics of Kasen holding his basket and posing! CUTE. Looks like a great Easter.

I'm so sorry to hear about your uncle. Sounds like he was a WONDERFUL man! I pray that someday soon the hurting will be replaced with good memories only.